Thursday, October 8, 2009

y-y-y-y-y

So... I just now sent an e-mail to Bill McKibben, the famous author/environmentalist who wrote the book Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future, which was the first book Mr. Schade assigned to me this year. I really hope I get a response, it would be totally amazing to hear from him, especially since everything I'm reading in his book strikes chords of my own internal empirical data (the truest I can fathom), and is backed up with formidable sources and texts. This guy knows what he's talking about.

Outside consultant... hmm... I'm not sure how that will work with my project at this point anyway. Perhaps, if Bill McKibben is very busy, I will call Elias's dad, or talk to Debra McCall about what I should do. I don't like choosing one person!! Isn't the point to involve everyone? To make a painting with a giant, colorful palate?

What is this!??!
PRODUCT.
OUTSIDE CONSULTANT.

It sounds so stark to me.

I have to create my rubric immediately... Today Karen, Tom and I had a lunch meeting with Mr. Schade, and we all kind of decided where exactly we're each planning to go from here.
I decided I think I want to write a paper. In lieu of the fact that senior project night is inherently anti-paper, (what with the crowds and food and abundant visual stimuli, I think I need to think beyond that one glorious night I have been looking forward to since freshman year. The fact is that a paper is a tangible, magical time capsule that will surely stand the test of time better than the vague impression of some other kind of staged presentation. Who knows who will read it!? Who knows who will!? And a paper is absolutely not always the way to go. Especially in terms of art and photography, unless you have some deeper kind of philosophical idea underlying your work (but still separate) that needs to be communicated, the aesthetics of the medium are the important presentation. For me, August is over, and yes I have photographs (Hannah's), but I also have a far deeper understanding of everything I thought I knew going into the project. Everyone told me that I was going to learn SO much!
How did they have an idea? Do they HAVE an idea?

Rubric Outcomes
30% - Process, Practical aspects
30% - Research, readings, connections
30% - Synthesis - (presentation, communication)

I suppose it will be pretty vague this time around (this is the first rubric development stage).

And theeen... oh yeah, an ARTICLE about the project was published in The East Hampton Press yesterday!! Woot. I felt uncomfortable reading it at first, but that's just because I'm the subject. Everyone who has read it has congratulated us. It was a well-written article-- and I'm happy she expounded on our World Pie episode (which really didn't feel like any kind of failing at all, and really pumped some character development into the mix).



No comments:

Post a Comment