Thursday, October 15, 2009

"you never go from point a to point b... in your life... ever."

So, I spent about my SP double period today organizing relevant e-mails into one folder, and then printing them for my process book. I came across a few messages I never responded to, which bothers me now...
I still can't believe the enthusiasm. The different inter-Hampton-communities I have recently come to recognize have, until now, been imperceptible and transient (I was a kind of tween loner with no conception of the ties that bind). The only clear community I really felt until I started high school, having switched schools three times by seventh grade, was within my mom's side of my family. The Seagraves and Ryans are very family-oriented, and all my cousins and their cousins come together at least once a season for serious quality time... It's very interesting to notice the same folks at the Choral Society concerts and the Sunday morning yoga classes and the Thursday night drumming and the climate change symposium and the coffee shop in town... Hmm... perhaps this is a pattern? They tend to be the happiest people, too, I'd say. It is interesting to notice these people in a 'local' context, and how they figure into the community... The restaurant owners, the CSA operators, members of the town council, artists, fishermen, electricians... They all know each other. They sit down on park benches. Communities are in some ways like nations... with permeable membranes that intersect like venn diagrams and sometimes cover incredible distances. And after all this... where is mine? Yes, my family. Yes, my school. But... not always. Therein lies the transience. That there is the poetry I guess I'm supposed to find in college.

I got an response from Mr. McKibben last week, which was easily one of the most exciting moments of my life, especially considering he had some very positive feedback!! Hopefully he'll be around when I go up to visit Middlebury around Halloween!! I don't know what I'd do if I actually met him though... probably freeze up completely and blabber incoherent nonsense.

This is me on the day Karen and I biked to school for add/drop. (Courtesy of Michele Claeys)
We ate lunch with the teachers... my goodness was that
delicious. If I could jump back in time to this moment I would. Those were very good days.




TO DO:
1. Hole punch/chronologicize printed emails
2. Build time machine
3. Go over rubric with Cschade
4. (seriously build time machine)
5. make plans for october 24!
6. keep reading! (and keep regular notes/ responses)
7. fundraiser idea for Ross garden: homemade caramel apple stand with all kinds of apples (from the milk pail?)


No comments:

Post a Comment